Dec 15 2011

Pedophilia and Sexual Abuse…More than Just an Epidemic

Category: FROM THE MIND OF MARC LACYadmin @ 1:54 pm

Many have asked, “What in the world is going on here?”  Especially when the cases of former Penn State Assistant (football) Coach Jerry Sandusky and former Syracuse Assistant (basketball) Coach Bernie Fine come up.  These are just a couple of many cases that have resurfaced after numerous years in dormancy.  And yes it is unfortunate that the statute of limitations comes into play in certain cases which yields the fact that the potential punishment stands no chance of equaling the crime.  I do think in cases like these, special consideration should be given to the fact of the “nature” of the crime. When it comes to the future of children, ALL BETS ARE OFF.

Why do I feel that Pedophilia and Sexual Abuse rank higher than an epidemic (in a bad way of course)?  Simple…because it is these types of actions which potentially thrust a youngster into confusion for the remainder of their lives.  Anytime you have coaches who are supposed to be role models, father figures, and leaders taking advantage of young boys, there is no other way to term it other than a “plague.”  Especially when you look at the level of frequency in which it occurs.  Saying that we live in a sick society is indeed an understatement.  These kids are at an impressionable age and when things of this magnitude happen to them, the image is planted into their minds forever.

Not only are many coaches and youth directors guilty, but you have preachers, teachers, politicians, etc. who are just as guilty.  When you focus on men trying to raise boys into men, the throb of the sting pulsate at an even higher rate.  Many loving mothers have put their trust into these “so-called” community role models only to be betrayed in an unearthly manner.  These men come into their dwelling supposedly with a loving and caring spirit exteriorly; but deep down inside, they are battling a gargantuan sized demon and apparently the only thing they’ve been able to do in the past is suppress it.

Pedophilia is a psychiatric disorder which requires treatment.  However the treatment does not guarantee full healing.  On top of that, by the time these coaches and leaders are called out for their actions, it’s too late for the child.  The child’s life is ruined and the violator may either get a sex offender label slapped on them or some sort of sentencing that no one feels is adequate for the offense.  But let us take it even deeper than that…see, somewhere along the line, the abuser was abused themselves…and the person who abused them was abused.  So the so-called curse lies within the lineage.  Of course none of the aforementioned is a viable excuse, and it definitely does NOT make it right.

Many people have asked, “Is there a legitimate rehabilitation out there that can combat this sickness?”  I mean, is there a “proven” approach that can at least mitigate the effects of this condition?  Regardless of what experts can come up with, it is not going to bring light to the darkness from years past; but it can certainly at least give hope for the future.  Everyone has to remain prayerful in order for a breakthrough to be made.

Parents, before anyone babysits, coaches, or mentors your child, it is incumbent upon you to give them a thorough scrubbing (reputation/background/interview) so that you at least know with whom you’re dealing.  Popularity does not mean one is beyond fault or one may not slipup.  Because with popularity can come deception. But also continue to educate your child on a regular basis about what they should and should not do when an adult makes them feel uncomfortable. Whether it is your child or anyone else’s child…a child is a child is a child…and they deserve a fair opportunity to lead a stable and a healthy life.

WE MUST ALL DO OUR PART IN COMBATING THE PLAGUE OF PEDOPHELIA AND SEXUAL ABUSE.

…You have just read the mind of Marc Lacy.

-Poet/Author Marc Lacy

13 Responses to “Pedophilia and Sexual Abuse…More than Just an Epidemic”

1. Daniel Williams says:

Excellent points there.

2. Katina Walton says:

This is a topic that many skate around, yet it is a topic that affects one out of three people. I totally agree that this in a psylogical problem that must be treated as such. And yes it usually a side effect another person doing it to them. Yet,NOTALL PEOPLE who are molested become a molester. Parents it is your first priority to talk avidly with your children about this pandemic. It is so uncomfortable to talk to your child about it but work through that uncomfortable feeling so you will never have to feel the powerless feeling of not being able to help, fix, or take away the pure evil feeling you and your child will have after being violated.I say tougher fines and sentences will possibly make these monsters think again. I pray daily for all children. Great article about a touchy subject.

3. Lynette Alleman says:

I agree excellent points. I am the mother of 4 boys. One of whom spent a week at a college football camp just this past summer. It makes me think even more than I did the first time before I send him off to camp the next time. I think one of the major things that need to happen is children need to understand that they need to tell and the people they tell need to take action! We as parents need to think, “If something major and life changing happened to one of my children would I stop my busy life long enough to take notice that something in my child’s personality has changed or that something is wrong with my child? Would I even know the signs?” Therefore, we need to think about education of parents. If I thought about it long enough I could come up with at least a dozen people I know that were abused as children and the family simply swept it under the rug instead of pressing charges on the abuser in order to protect the family name, Uncle Joe, Cousin Bo, or Grandpa Fred (all fictitious names for the sake of example). The chain of abuse needs to stop and we stop it by taking action against the abusers so that the abused understands how wrong it is and does not become the abuser in the future. Not to say that all abused become future abusers. The slaps on the wrist need to stop! Although I understand that sometimes the innocent are accused, we need more strenuous punishment. As a parent, I personally am for the lynch mob mentality in this case, but as law abiding, tax paying citizens we all understand that cannot be the case. It all comes back to education, teaching the children that it is okay to say no to an adult in the case of abuse, that it is okay to protect oneself and body, telling them that in this case speak up and speak loudly, yell it from the mountain tops if you need to…tell that adult that you can trust of any abuse or potential thereof. As for the responsible adults, educate them on the signs of abuse and of how to recognize the signs. Then, education on what the adult is to do about it in the case of abuse. As far as the abuser, the simplest, release the non-violent offenders (example, the dude that got caught with the joint) and put them away for life, whether it be in a mental hospital or jail cell, put them away. Protect our future, protect our Children! Maybe, in that case it will stop a potential abuser, he or she will seek out the help they need as far as mental health, or they just simply will not become an abuser because they know it is a choice that will put them away for life.

4. admin says:

Thank you so much for your timely commentary. Yes this is a very sensitive issue and honestly you cannot blame families (who act) for wanting to take immediate action. I truly hope and pray that more people will become vigilant and take action to mitigate and abolish these atrocities committed on our youngsters.

-Marc

5. Trent Griffin says:

Man Marc….. I can post something insignificant and people dont stop remarking ….But I post something like this.. or HIV/AIDS awareness, Domestic Abuse…I get the silent treatment. Thank you for having the courage that it takes to speak on issues like this. The words don’t fall on deaf ears I’m sure…It’s just so shocking that many times people just don’t know how to respond. Great piece…and keep writing!

6. admin says:

Thank you for your continued support brother…

7. e-ticaret says:

I savor, result in I discovered just what I used to be taking a look for. You’ve ended my 4 day lengthy hunt! God Bless you man. Have a nice day. Bye

8. Syble Mulling says:

how are you. Fantastic text and a awesome blog

9. classic country songs says:

Utterly composed written content , Really enjoyed reading through .

10. Lashawna Mcwayne says:

You made some first rate points there. I regarded on the web for the problem and located most individuals will go together with along with your website.

11. Kenneth Cosgrove says:

I love your wordpress blog but it took awhile to find it. Have you heard about SEOPressor? You should give some thought to The SeoPressor plugin It solves all your content and on-site SEO difficulties. It’s astonishingly easy to use and you can start seeing real traffic in as little as a week!

12. Savannah Wingo says:

Good day. Very nice site!! Man .. Excellent .. Amazing .. I will bookmark your blog and take the feeds also…I am glad to find a lot of useful info here in the post. Thank you for sharing.

13. Maren Omlin says:

Wow that was odd. I just wrote an extremely long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn’t show up. Grrrr… well I’m not writing all that over again. Anyhow, just wanted to say superb blog!